Lipstick is probably “the” one must have item in every woman´s bag. Most of us can not imagine life without it, right? How many lipsticks do you carry around? I guess more than just one.
Lipstick definitely is “in” and it always has been. But did you know how old actually this beauty item is?
Here the five facts about the lipstick.
- Natural based lipsticks (made of colorful fruits and plant juices) were used already by woman since the prehistoric times. Wealthy Ancient Egyptian women used them regularly. Apparently Cleopatra loved her red lipstick.
- The primary ingredients found in lipstick are wax, oil, alcohol and pigment.
- The ingredients themselves range from complex organic compounds to entirely natural ingredients.
- Lipsticks have expiration date and can become rancid! Therefore, do not use any old or expired lipsticks.
- If you would like to prolong their life, you may store your lipstick in the fridge. I usually do that, at least in summer.
Finding the right lipstick is an individual choice and not always the easiest task, right? There is a huge variety of lipsticks available, so sometimes one feels like walking through the jungle until finding the perfect color. I am using only two, nude and red.
The nude is coming from MAC Cosmetics , and my all time favorite is Cremesheen Modesty. The red one, which I only use for special occasions such as fancy dinners and go outs, is Chanel Rouge Allure nr 169 .
For everyday use I prefer the lip gloss though. I read somewhere that the lip gloss was invented by Max Factor back in 1930 to make the lips look shinier and glossy for films. Well, it makes sense to me.
If you can not decide between lipstick and lip gloss just use both! Start with the lipstick first and apply some lip gloss to make your look more shiny. I usually reapply only lip gloss during the day.
In my opinion lip gloss is one of the best inventions ever! I could give up on a lipstick, but never on a lip gloss.
Which of the two is your preference? Do you have any favorite colors?